HomePrevious Website ChatHow do I charge for my work?
Messages in this topic - RSS
3/11/2003 4:04:29 PM
I sell crafts (mainly ceramics) at craft shows. last year I started knitting inexpensive scarves and hats to sell. I would like to use the better quality yarns and more elaborate patterns, but have no idea how to charge for these items.
3/11/2003 5:14:22 PM
One rule of thumb is to charge three times the materials. So if it cost you $15 in yarn you would charge $45 for the item. But I also think you should take into consideration the pattern, skill and time it takes to make something and little more elaborate. I know that $45 may seem like a lot for a scarf but it really isn`t- it is really your time and the fact that it is a handmade item that makes it so valuable. Next time you are in your LYS (local yarn store) check out what they are selling hats, scarves and sweaters for. Mine sells really hats for about $40-$50 and some of those are really chinky hats that are knit with one ball of Rowan chunky and probably take about 1-2 hours to make. I have seen scarves for sale for about $30-75 depending on the yarn. The range for sweaters is about $100 (for a little short sleeved item or shell) upwards of $400-500 dollars for something more elaborate.
Sounds like a great little business you have going there - good luck!
3/11/2003 7:39:45 PM
Thank you for your advice. We only have three yarn stores in San Diego so I was delighted to find this web site. I am not really computer literate, but am learning. I have been knitting since I was about ten years old, but have never got the nack of twisting the colors so I don`t leave holes. But I love to knit and crochet. It has been a life saver for me. Thanks again
3/13/2003 8:54:33 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
I`ve seen the following several different times on KnitU:
Cost of the yarn, plus $.08US/$.12CDN per YARD for simple knitting, for cables, fancy colour work etc, add 50% more, plus $20-$50US/$30-$75CDN for finishing if there is a lot of blocking, seaming,construction etc to do. Your time and skill are valuable.
The biggest problem with relating the charge for knitting to the yarn cost is that the charge for working with bargin acrylic from a discount store would be only a fraction of the charge for knitting high quality merino from elann. Which would you rather knit?
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatHow do I charge for my work?