HomePrevious Website Chatwashing cotton sweaters
Messages in this topic - RSS
12/5/2002 6:28:21 PM
acb
acb
Posts 1465
Have you ever had a cotton sweater grow or shrink when you washed it?

I haven`t ever found the above to be a problem, because I machine wash (gentle) and machine dry my cotton sweaters until almost dry, and then just finish drying them flat.

I`ve found that when I dry cotton sweaters flat from very wet, the weight of the sweater may make the garment larger than if I restore it to its dry size in a dryer.

The really wonderful thing about cotton is that contary to what many people think, it doesn`t actually shrink - it only compresses. If I ever leave a cotton sweater in the dryer so long that it comes out too small, I just wash it again (it de-compresses), dry it to almost dry in the dryer, and then lay it flat to re-shape back to my desired size.
12/7/2002 7:43:55 AM
Would you suggest using a sweater/lingerie bag for machine washing cotton sweaters? How `bout for drying? Or is it unneccesary? Can one machine-dry non-mercerized cotton, too (not bone dry, of course)? Thanks for your suggestions!
12/7/2002 8:24:33 AM
acb
acb
Posts 1465
I`ve never used a sweater/lingerie bag for washing and drying, as I`ve always found cotton to be extremely durable.

I`ve found machine washing and drying to almost dry especially good for non-mercerized cottons -- you just need to be sure to allow for extra `shrinkage` (compression) in length with non-mercerized cottons (about 10-15%).

I always knit a swatch first, measuring its gauge and finished size before washing. I then machine wash and dry the swatch to almost dry, just as I would the finished garment, and measure the gauge and swatch size again, to calculate the extra percentage I`ll need to add to all the length measurements of the garment.
12/23/2002 4:48:51 PM
Ann, I agree with all of your statements. And I wash and dry my cotton sweaters as you do, except after they are dry, I tumble them on air or warm to add a little more life to the yarn. I have even used cold water dye and renewed color when they became washed-out. I enjoy cotton more than wool!!!
12/28/2002 9:37:57 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
I do put my cotton sweater (a fox fibre which I purchased) in a lingerie bag and dry until almost dry, then I lay flat. It turns out really well. After years and years of wearing, this sweater is wearing out in the neckline stitches and I`m very sad. Jamie
1/11/2003 7:16:47 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
Does this apply to wool as well. I washed my LeFibre Nobili superwash sweater in a bag in the washer and then layed it flat to dry. The body is fine, but the sleeves have stretched. Regret, regret. I probably should have hand washed it.
1/30/2003 7:09:46 AM
acb
acb
Posts 1465
Animal fibres like wool behave much differently than plant fibres like cotton, but after you machine wash superwash wool, you should be able to block the shape of your garment somewhat when you lay it flat to dry. I would recommend re-washing the garment, and then gently tugging widthways on the sleeves, so that they pull up a bit lengthways when you lay them flat to dry. When the garment is dry, you should find the sleeves are the length you shaped them to.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatwashing cotton sweaters