Posts 67
Fibre Content: 51.1% Mercerized Cotton/ 48.9% Viscose from Bamboo
Made In: Brazil
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Knit: 24 st/ 4 inches 3.5 mm (US 4)
Yardage: 127 m (139 yards) per 50g ball
Size: 10 50g (1.75 oz) balls per bag
Price: US$20.35

A sport weight, with the silky drape of bamboo and the comfort of cotton, for fantastic wearability!

Please note that full bags are returnable only as full bags. Quantities shown indicate number of full bags (10 balls per bag) available. Add “1” to your cart for one full bag.
Standard price for this quality is $5.50 USD per 50g ball - Elann full bag price of $20.35 USD per bag of 10 balls (500g) saves you as much as 63%!

Unblocked and Blocked

Only one major complaint. This yarn splits more than Berroco Comfort, which for me, is the all-time splittiest yarn on the earth. Yes, splittiest probably isn’t a word, but you all know what I mean!

The multiple, loosely spun plies on this made for an interesting knit. I chose the bluntest pair of wooden needles I had and I still had problems. I’d split the purl bump on the garter edge from the stitch below. I’d split the stitch I was trying to put the needle into. I’d split the yarn just trying to wrap it when I threw the yarn. I switch to picking (I can knit both ways) and still split the yarn. The bind off was a nightmare, trying make certain I got all the little loops of the stitch passed over the other stitch and kept all the little loops of the passed over stitch on the needle!

Otherwise, this one was pleasant. LOL! Enough rayon to give it a lovely hand. A pleasant lustre, without making it too slippery to work with on the wooden needles. The stitches were even enough once blocked. I had no problems breaking it with a good tug. One oddity was that I had a couple of the plies that wanted to worm. I have no clue why, but can guess that with a ply this loose, I noticed it was nearly untwisting completely as I wrapped the stitch and maybe wasn’t untwisting evenly enough, causing a ply or two to worm?

Mostly comments are about splitting and slipperiness. Note that this yarn is 4 plies of the cotton and 4 plies of the rayon viscose and each takes the dye differently so it is slightly tonal all the way through. It shouldn’t pool at all though.

My swatch shrank, both in width and in length, which I found odd, as it’s typical for a cotton to gain in width and shrink in length. I suspect it might grow a bit with wear because of the slippery bamboo.

Notes:
- US4 (3.5mm) blunt tipped wood
- Unblocked gauge: 24s/3.75”, 8.5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 24s/3.625”, 10rpi (way off suggested gauge)
- Broke with a good tug
- Did not pill
- Splitting is a big problem
- Slick and sheen
- Wormed ever so slightly (but it could have just been me)
- Very soft after it’s bath
- Slightly tonal
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 5/29 - Elann Bamboo Classic Bag Sale