Posts 67
Fibre Content: 50% Cotton/ 45% Viscose Rayon/ 5% Silk
Made In: Romania
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 22 st/4 inches 4.00mm (US 6)
Yardage: 90 m (98 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.78

DK weight Rimini boasts cotton for comfort, plied with rayon and a touch of silk for subtle lustre!

Standard price for this yarn is US$6.95 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 60%!

Unblocked & Blocked

I liked this, but for one thing: splitsville! The twist on this yarn is very loose and it has lots of plies! I’d count, but they can be seen (kinda, sorta) in the unblocked pic.) At this point, I should apologize for the craptastic photos this week. Not feeling well, still, and I just couldn’t get a clear picture. It did have a nice hand while knitting, not a ton of sproing, but still nowhere near feeling like knitting butcher’s twine as some cottons can feel.

Other than having to pay attention so as not to split my stitches (better than busting a stitch, as anyone who has done that after surgery can attest), this yarn worked up nicely. It frogged well, though you have to be careful to get all the plies back on and it kinked a little, but reknit just fine. I had to work really hard to pull up anything even resemble fuzz on the pill test, so my best guess is this will wear well, with little pilling.

Like most cottons, it dried rather stiff, but softened up to be quite lovely as I rubbed it for the pill test. Nice and soft, it ended up. The different fibers in this one each take the dye a little differently so it’s a very subtle tonal, but won’t pool at all because it’s even throughout the yarn.

The only other comment I have is that, with my throwing, the yarn tended to loosen it’s twist even more, so I was really knitting loose strands with nearly no twist. Unusual for me, but not unheard of. Has to do with the type of twist used in the manufacture and if you throw instead of pick. Some yarns can add extra twist. This seemed to do the opposite.

For those who are looking at this one and aren’t opposed to the rayon content, give it a whirl. Just pay attention to your stitches.

Notes:
- US6 (4mm) bamboo
- Unblocked gauge: 22s/3.75”, 8.5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 22s/4”, 9rpi (hit gauge!)
- Frogged well, but pay attention to reinsertion of needle
- Very unlikely to pill
- Stiff after a wash, but softens with use quite nicely
- Subtle tonal, because of how dye takes to different fibers
- Could not break
- Snagging could present a problem with the loose twist
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 5/22 - Ella Rae Rimini