Posts 67
Fibre Content: 85% Wool/ 15% Angora
Made In: Ireland
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 12 st/4 inches 6.5mm (US 10.5)
Yardage: 100 m (109 yards)
Size: 100g (3.5 oz) skein
Price: US$6.89

Classic, luxurious tweed yarn spun in Kilcar, Ireland!

Some colors available in lesser quantities - shop early to avoid disappointment! Standard price for this yarn is US$19.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 65%!

Unblocked, Blocked and Ravelry.com Yarn Page

(sorry about the crappy cell phone pics)

This was much like last week’s yarn: a tweed with the feel of a “felted” yarn. It’s actually a 2 ply yarn, loosely plied with the tweedy flecks in both plies. In hand, it’s a bit dry, but knits up into a nice fabric. It made my hands feel somewhat dry after knitting with it.

The is not a lot of stitch definition in this. I’m sure cables would be ok, but you’d really lose anything delicate. Not that you can do much “delicate” knitting on a chunky weight. The stitches kind of blurred together, making counting the row gauge interesting. I had no problems with snagging or splitting the yarn. The three rows I frogged didn’t show any signs of it and knit right back up. The pill test did make a lovely halo, but I didn’t get any obvious pillage. Note, however, that it will probably pill in areas where there is friction: underarms, elbows, cuffs.

It’s not an especially springy yarn, but that’s expected from a felted-type. Gauge changed a smidge after blocking, but I didn’t hit gauge to start with on the recommended needles.

Lots of projects, a few comments. Most notably that this yarn has a rustic look and feel to it. I’d agree wholeheartedly. Lots of love, though.

So, with a pretty decent yardage (especially for a Debbie Bliss yarn) and some lovely colors to choose from, if you’re looking for a chunky, you might like this one. Of course, be prepared for the same thing that happened last week.

Crash That's the sound of the website at noon tomorrow

Notes:
- US10.5 metal
- Unblocked gauge: 12s/3.5”, 4.5rpi
- Blocked gauge: 12s/3.75”, 5rpi
- Frogged well
- Broke easily
- May pill
- Did not split or snag
- Soft after block
- Rustic texture
3/25/2012 9:40:45 AM
us3catsbeading
us3catsbeading
Posts 5
I got this yarn in the charcoal color, put up a couple in to balls, and it has a very strong smell that reminds me of petroleum distillates. Is this the dye or what? I was really looking forward to doing the coat on the cover of the Debbie Bliss magazine of a couple of winters ago. I don't know if I can work with it 'til the smell dissipates, and I'm wondering if I should wash it before I ball it up, or give up and return it.
3/25/2012 1:28:56 PM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
My sample skein did not have a smell, nor does the a yarn I have in my stash. You can wash it first, though that might be a pain. I would set it out and let it air, if possible. Sometimes the dye and oils in the processing can leave a smell. If you have plenty for your project, maybe swatch a small bit and wash it and see if it helps with the odor.
3/26/2012 11:18:19 AM
us3catsbeading
us3catsbeading
Posts 5
I took a sample this morning and washed it first in the Eucalon, it smelled even more wet, so I went with 75% white vinegar with cold water for about an hour soak. I rinsed it, and rolled it in a towel to partially dry. It's hanging in a window air drying now, but at last sniff, it hadn't improved enough for my nose. I'll check it after a few more hours of fresh air.
3/26/2012 2:33:24 PM
us3catsbeading
us3catsbeading
Posts 5
It's in the mail, I shipped it priority. You should have it very soon. I'm really sorry to need to return it, but I couldn't get past the smell to work with it. I air dried it, and it didn't seem enough better to try to work with. It dried my hands as little as I really did touch it, and left a very dry feeling in my mouth when I had to breath the fumes from it. I do have a really strong sense of smell, so I may have smelled an ingredient that other people don't detect. I usually find that your yarn has absolutely no smell-which I love, and that's one of the many reasons I shop with you.
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 2/28 - D Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed Chunky