Messages in this topic - RSS
8/15/2011 6:26:32 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content:86% Pure New Merino Wool/ 14% Nylon
Made In:Italy
Care:Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Gauge:13 st/4 inches 6.0-7.0 mm (US 10-10.75)
Yardage:80 m (87 yards)
Size:50g (1.75 oz) ball

Deliciously soft-spun single ply merino blend! Available in 12 colors, plus 2 more in lesser quantities.

Standard price for this yarn is US$8.50 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 71%!

US$2.48

Preblock, Blocked and spit-spliced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lofty, soft single ply wool, with a touch of nylon for stability. This one felt wonderful knitting and on the softness test, I forgot I’d put it under the bra strap. That is, until two hours later, when I was getting the chicken enchiladas out of the oven and I kept wondering why my left shoulder seemed to warm to me! The stitch definition is really pretty nice, as sometimes they can get muddy looking with singles. I was going to try a cable, but thought about it too far into the swatch, besides, I’d already done the frog test so I didn’t want to frog back just to throw in a cable. My thoughts are that it would hold a cable nicely, but done at a bit tighter gauge.

And, yes, I got gauge!! I don’t own 10.75’s, so I used 10.5US. I really like the fabric I got with it and am wondering if I should get some to do another Susie Hoodie, as my first one screwed with me on the gauge and is now in the lovely possession of my daughter.

Bad points: it broke easily with just a light tug; and, it fuzzed up and started to pill with the friction test. But these are both usual with soft, lofty, merino singles. And like I do with most yarns with a tendency to pill, I’m going to suggest using smaller needles for a tighter gauge to help offset that pilling tendency.

Oh, and for those of you wondering about felting. Can you say, “Unbelievable?” I felt joined the tail I broke off the swatch and I cannot find, once the spit splice dried, where the devil I did it! (Yes, I shaped it like an S to stand for super spit-splicing superiority!) This small felting join leads me to believe that this yarn is gonna felt like buttah melts. If I don’t get some for that hoodie, I may just get some for felted slippers!

Yeah, you can say I liked this one. LOL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US10.5 (6.5mm) metal
- Preblock gauge: 13st/3.75” (just under gauge), 5rpi
- blocked gauge: 13st/4” (on the button!!), 5rpi (Rows didn’t change! It just got that squidge wider.)
- broke easily
- soft, lofty single
- spit-splice felted join so well I can’t find the join
- MMMMMmmmmerino
- No itch factor at all, just really warm!
- Pilling’s probably gonna happen
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 8/16 - Madil Divino