duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Austermann Algarve Color
Coming: July 26, 2011 09:00 AM Pacific Time
Fibre Content: 100% Mercerized Cotton
Made In: Bulgaria
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 27 st/4 inches 2.50-3.50mm (US 1-4)
Yardage: 142 m (155 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball

Smooth summery cotton in a fun palette of variegated colorways!

Standard price for this yarn is US$6.95 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 64%!

US$2.48

Unblocked and Blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice fingering weight mercerized cotton. I had a bit of trouble with it untwisting on my knit stitch, which meant I had to watch for splitting on my purl stitch. A block in a cool bath evened out the wonky stitches (which you can see in the greenish pool in the middle of the unblocked swatch). I got gauge before blocking and, true to cotton form, it grew in width after a bath.

I like the fabric I got on the US4’s, but might consider going down to a US3 for a bit firmer fabric and, possibly, less sag. Although, in a fingering weight, sag might not be as much of an issue since the overall garment won’t weight that much.

My sample skein was the Olive Multi, which knit up looking a bit camofluage, but the color changes are relatively short, so that might help with pooling.

The construction is 3 threadlike plies twisted together, then 4 of those plies twisted together. Before knitting, it felt quite a bit like the old Sonata, but knit up with a much more giving hand. There is just a bit of give if you pull on a section of yarn, but it will not break.

All in all, if you like the colors, I’d say go for it. It’s rare to find a nice fingering weight cotton. If these were solid colors, I’d be all over this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US 4 (3.5mm) stainless steel
- Unblocked 6.75spi and 8rpi
- Blocked 6.35spi and 9rpi
- Could not break
- Untwists a little, possibly causing splitting
- A little bounce for a softer hand
- No pilling or wear detected
- Soft after a bath
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues July 26 - Austermann Algarve Color