HomeTechnique ChatWhat would Dolly (Parton) do?
Messages in this topic - RSS
7/12/2011 5:34:14 PM
lily
lily
Posts 3
I just finished making a completely straightforward, vanilla-style raglan sweater with the jj handpainted mohair yarn that elann had on sale recently. Problem is, a colleague of mine loves it so much she desperately wants me to make her another one just like it from my leftover skeins. I'd love to do it and we put her into mine to check out the general proportions - everything fine, except for one thing. She has gigantic boobs, and I most certainly don't. MY chest hurt looking at her once she got into it. She's just got these - well, you get the idea. And she's just a colleague. I don't really want to stand around in the workplace with her harping on the subject out loud and making painterly measuring moves with my hands, whether she joins in or not. It's not really a corporate kind of topic, you know?

Thing is, I'm pretty blessed in never having to consider cleavage when I knit for myself. I'm not over sure how to adjust for this colleague/friend. The pattern I worked from basically just divides the whole garment into four equal quadrants (front-sleeve-back-sleeve), and I don't feel it will work to simply increase the overall circumference for her chest and then divide that new number by four. The sleeves are already kind of baggy on her so an extra 3 inches on either side won't look right. On top of that, she actually has a really small frame - from behind her ribcage and shoulder-to-shoulder range are actually smaller than mine. So if I just distribute the increase, I feel there's a risk of having the raglan line bisecting her breasts instead of following the line of her shoulder. If you see what I mean. Should I just start at the waist and try to gradually build extra 'space' into the front? And then what - gradually decrease it again as I move up towards the top of the sweater? The mohair isn't really the kind of stuff you can keep working and then pulling out if it doesn't go right, because it felts up or clumps down. And of course I don't want to make her something she hates but feels like she has to wear or she'll hurt my feelings/embarrass me. I do want her to be happy with whatever it is.

Is there anyone here who might be able to help?
7/19/2011 12:11:45 PM
Gaile
Gaile
Posts 399
I'm not a busty gal either, but my sister is!

My suggestion is short rows for giving the girls a little space and some nice shaping without adding to the overal width of the garment.

If you have access to it, a great book on knitting for bigger and curvier bodies is Big Girl Knits. (link to the book on elann.com). I have it and have referenced it often.

Here are several good tutorials online:

On knitty.com - a nice little tutorial about shaping

This tutorial shows a V neck pullover, and excellent tips.

Techknitter has some excellent info - Short rows theory and Short rows method.

And here's a calculator for adding short rows: Bust Darts

I hope these links will help a little!
edited by Gaile on 7/19/2011
7/19/2011 10:50:57 PM
lily
lily
Posts 3
Thank you, these all look great. It's weird how limited my mind is for certain things. I know all about short rows from shaping socks and so forth, but transpose it to a different angle or body zone and it's like my brain just breaks. I blame it on lack of Lego in my formative years Big Grin Something like this to walk me through the initial ideas is exactly the kind of starter I need.

Real life has been catching up on me these past couple of weeks, but when we get normal enough again for me to approach this project I'll definitely be coming back to this thread for the references. Thanks again.
7/19/2011 11:45:34 PM
Gaile
Gaile
Posts 399
You're most welcome!
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatWhat would Dolly (Parton) do?