Posts 67
Elann.com Sonata Soft
Fibre Content: 100% Mercerized Cotton
Made In: Brazil
Care: Machine Wash, Cold, Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 22 st/4 inches 4.0 mm (US 6)
Yardage: 106 m (115 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball

Premium quality, cable-construction, mercerized cotton, enhanced by a softer hand!

Featured Design: Whispered Inspiration Summer Cardigan, designed and knit by Flora Yang, is available free for the printing in the Free Patterns page of our website while quantities of Sonata Soft remain.

Standard price for this quality is US$5.50 - Elann discounted price saves you as much as 50%!

US$2.75

Unblocked, Blocked, and Cables/Lace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24 colors to choose from in this new incarnation. And a welcome incarnation it is! This yarn is sturdy, but soft. I couldn’t break it. It’s cable construction consists of 4 sets of 2 plies twisted together. I split only two stitches, and on the BO, no less. But, when I frogged and knit it up again, it took out some of the twist and was a little more prone to splitting, so you’ll want to keep an eye on that if you have to frog a section. There was no wear and tear with the frogging, though and it reknit up nicely, even though it was a bit kinked from the blocking. I used my stainless steel needles and had no problem with them being too slippery. The yarn moved smoothly along and never felt like it was out of control on the needles. No wood or bamboo needles needed to work this yarn, but I think they’d be fine if those are your preferred needles.

The yarn knitted up smoothly and cohesively and I got gauge! Hot diggity! There was some biasing (I’d say by a stitch’s width over the 3 inch length of the swatch), but that blocked out well. As you can see in the 3rd linked photo, it worked up nicely in both a simple cable and gull wing lace. It didn’t torque at all in the cable/lace swatch preblock. I think the worked stitches helped it hold it’s shape.

There was no resemblance at all to the old Sonata to my hand. The old one (I had one of the prints) was like butcher’s twine to me: very stiff and not pleasant at all to knit with, so much so I destashed it as quickly as I could. This is so much better! The hand is softer and there is some give, so k2tog in the s1k2togpsso didn’t kill me to do. A cable of more than 4 or 5 stitches might be more difficult, but if you remember to loosen up those stitches to work the cable, you’d be ok.

My swatch didn’t pill or even look worn/different after I rubbed it together vigorously. The stitches smoothed back out nicely and there’s really no fuzz factor at all. I blocked it in a tepid bath and laid flat to dry. I would have gone the machine wash route, but I didn’t have any laundry to do. The swatch really didn’t change much at all in size, so if you wash as recommended, shrinkage will be very minimal!

All in all, I’m impressed and I may end up stashing some of this. The only drawback for me: my little 10 yd sample skein had a knot! I hope that isn’t an issue with this yarn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US6 (4mm) metal
- Preblock: 22.5 st/4” and 7.5rpi
- Postblock: 22 st/4” and 7rpi
- Unbrakeable
- Biased a bit (also known as torquing) prior to block
- Holds cables and lace patterns well
- Soft, yet sturdy
- Pilling will be minimal, if at all
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues July 12 - Elann Sonata Soft