6/27/2011 6:41:20 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Diamond Luxury Collection Milky Way
65% viscose rayon/35% milk sourced viscose
Made in Italy
Hand wash/dry flat
Worsted wieight - 20st/4inches 4.5-5.0mm (US7-8)
50g ball - 135m/147y
Standard Price: $5.95US/$5.71CA
Elann Price: $2.98US/$2.86CA (50% savings)

“Knitted ribbon construction for fabulous drape, with the lustre of silk!” (10 colors and two patterns in the free patterns section using this yarn while yarn quantities last)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unblocked, blocked and yarn construction

This is an interesting yarn as it, to me, isn’t so much a ribbon yarn. It is a knitted tube, rather like a flattened icord. While it does twist whilst knitting, like a flat ribbon yarn tends to do, because of the tubular construction, doesn’t really affect the overall look of the fabric once knitted. It really smoothed out nice and flat with a dunk and dry flat. The stitches evened out somewhat, but this particular type of yarn doesn’t really give you nice smooth, even stitches. It keeps a rather rustic look, reminding me of maybe a slightly slubby yarn style fabric, without the slubs, if that makes sense.

This yarn is all viscose, a portion of which is made from milk protiens, hence the Milky Way name. It is soft and silky, and it really does have a slight sheen to it, yet it’s quite substantive as a fabric. I didn’t get gauge (have I gotten gauge yet with a tuesday yarn?), but am pleased with the fabric I produced. Because of the construction of the yarn, there is quite a bit of elasticity to the knitted fabric. You’ll really want to go with a tighter gauge if you are going to make any tops or wear a cami underneath. I tugged and pulled and yanked on the swatch and it bounced right back to shape every time.

It was an easy knit: no splitting, but I did, once or twice, find that I caught my needle tip on the yarn and it reminded me of a fish stuck in a net. lol Even when that happened, the yarn didn’t snag, but I think it might if you really caught it on something. And it wouldn’t be a snag easily fixed.

Not my cuppa on this one, but I think it would make a great slinky, shimmery, summery shawl in a relatively plain pattern. I doubt this yarn would lend itself to cables or lacework - too slippery.

I’m not hot or cold to this yarn. For 100% manmade viscose rayon, it feels like silk to knit, not a squeaky acrylic. I’m sure some of you will love this yarn. But not Sweaterfreak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

- US8 (5mm) bamboo
- 5.75spi/7rpi before and after blocking - it remained unchanged
- Suggested spi of 5 would be way too loose, unless you like the see-through look
- Interesting tubular construction
- Did not pill
- Did not split
- Might catch easily and pull
- Very elastic, once knitted into a fabric, in all directions
- Very soft, with slight sheen
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, June 28 - Diamond Luxury Collection Milky Wa