HomeGeneral ChatEXCITING NEWS!
Messages in this topic - RSS
6/25/2010 7:59:21 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I am now a professional designer!

About.com just hired me to be a contributing writer in their Knitting topic, and I am in charge of the subtopic of knitting design. My job, literally, is to design knitwear and they publish my patterns. One design a week - eek! But at the yarn store I would design about 6 or 7 patterns a week, so I know I can get in the zone and do it.

I googled "knitting" and about.com is the very first site that comes up - I'm so excited about that! I could never get publicity like that for my work!

It's salaried too - $500 a month (not a lot, but it's supposed to be only part-time about 5-10 hours per week), plus commission for web-traffic generated. The application process was quite intensive - after submitting a resume, you then had to write an article. Then I was short-listed and assigned to an editor to work with to submit 4 pattern designs over the course of a month. Then after his edits were incorporated, the patterns were sent for review to the editor in chief and the knitting Guide for their decision. Only about 10% of applicants get picked, I'm told, so I am OVER THE MOON!

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/25/2010 9:47:25 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see your work getting the credit it deserves! I mean, big public-at-large credit - of course around here we are lucky to have been able to admire it.
6/25/2010 3:10:37 PM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1405
Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you to show off your skilz! I can't wait to see your first article!
6/26/2010 6:22:27 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
Congratulaltions! I feel like we have had the privilege of watching you evolve in your knitting here at Elann and your struggle for citizenship. I can't wait to read your first article. Way to go Casey.
PatQOC
6/26/2010 8:29:06 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Congratulations, Eileen! That's wonderful! I have every confidence that you will do a fantastic job. That's really exciting!
6/27/2010 4:29:14 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
That *is* exciting news. Congrats and good luck!
6/28/2010 10:45:04 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
WOW!!!! Congratulations, Eileen! I hope it's tons of fun, inspiring, and just keeps opening more doors for you!
6/28/2010 12:04:27 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Eileen, Congratulations! Of all the people on this site, you're the one who really deserves this opportunity. I look foward to following your career. All the best to you and your wonderful family! I am so happy that finally opportunities for your great talent are opening up! Jamie
6/28/2010 5:12:29 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Congratulations, Eileen. You have worked hard for this.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/30/2010 8:07:05 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
That is exciting, but a pattern a week at only 5-10 hours per pattern?? WoW, you would really have to be focused, and that pretty much rules out any test-knitting on the part of the designer, doesn't it?
6/30/2010 9:39:02 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Daryl wrote:
That is exciting, but a pattern a week at only 5-10 hours per pattern?? WoW, you would really have to be focused, and that pretty much rules out any test-knitting on the part of the designer, doesn't it?

I'm not really limited to the number of hours worked - I can work 40 hours if I want to stay up all night, but it just wouldn't make the salary worth it. I'm a terrible perfectionist, so this is my attempt at limiting myself. I used to be able dash off a sweater on spec at the knitting store, though that tended to be the same thing over and over again just with different measurements. That was before having kids turned by brain to oatmeal, though.

I have the Sweater Wizard, I'm going to buy the new version of Aran Paint plus (it has lace charting software now as well as cabling), I have a couple of programmes that allow you to configure charts, and a number of basic schematics I drew saved in Paint. Plus several patterns handwritten that I just need to type up. So that buys me some time.

But you're absolutely right - it really allows for little or no test knitting, which is where my perfectionism has to go out the window. Apparently I'll be working closely with the existing Knitting Guide as well as my editor. Any of the existing patterns on about.com are hers, and you can see that they are very basic. So I'm sure we'll hammer something out between us - she has been published as well as working for about.com, so she knows how long test knitting takes.

In any event, I plan to start off with the most basic of basic stuff - like baby cardigan in garter with no shaping (square neck) and drop sleeve kind of basic. My salary is compounded by commission based on web traffic, so I want to hook beginners as soon as they've learned to knit, LOL. I can do simple patterns for basic raglans, set-ins, cardigans, etc. in baby, child and adult sizes, and then use those templates for intarsia, cable, stitch pattern pieces.

That's the plan, anyway.

On a busy week hopefully I can just throw in a hat or bag pattern and call it good.

edited by ecasey on 6/30/2010

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/30/2010 12:02:08 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Hurray! Eileen, that is wonderful! The About.com Knitting Forum is well-respected and a great resource. I'll be checking in to see what you're up to. I don't know if you've read about it, but the Fleegle blog had a review of a newish charting program (she's the Gossamer Web lace knitter/designer); here's the link: link
6/30/2010 12:43:03 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
CatBookMom wrote:
Hurray! Eileen, that is wonderful! The About.com Knitting Forum is well-respected and a great resource. I'll be checking in to see what you're up to. I don't know if you've read about it, but the Fleegle blog had a review of a newish charting program (she's the Gossamer Web lace knitter/designer); here's the link: link

Barbara - thank you! That software looks amazing - I only have a few freebies which are nowhere near as comprehensive. And the price is definitely right.

I think about.com used to have more of a wishy-washy reputation as a whole - but they are owned by the New York Times now and seem to have gotten their act together. Certainly my dealings with them so far have been very professional.

--
6/30/2010 1:49:35 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Glad to help! I 'met' several knitters who are still in my life via the About.com knitting forum, including our own Grace Y. Pre-Ravelry, it was a constant resource for me. There's a fabulous knitter in the New England area who goes by the handle of mousepotato; she was my knitting guru for several years, and I'm sure she's still enabling newbies right and left.
pages: 1
HomeGeneral ChatEXCITING NEWS!