HomeTechnique ChatNeed Info on Non-Skid Product for Slipper Bottoms
Messages in this topic - RSS
5/10/2010 12:43:22 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
My seniors are into making slippers this year in particular, and I am tasked with finding the non-skid solution. The gals don't felt the slippers, so I don't know if Vamanta's famous stuff will work. But I can't find the link to the info on the paint-on stuff she recommended.

Can someone give the me link to the info? Thanks!
5/10/2010 10:00:54 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
Hi, CBM!
I remember Vamanta posting about this, but I can't remember if this was the EXACT stuff that she was using.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

This is what I've been using for quite a while now, & I really like it. One coat for a non-skid coating! Or, several coats to create a bottom that is water-proof. And as a side-note: I've used the black and have had no problems with scuff marks on the white lino.

Only word of warning: it's pretty stinky...be ready to ventilate!

Hope this helps your group!
Billie
5/11/2010 6:30:45 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
The plasti-dip is the stuff Vamanta uses. She has made me a convert too. I've made a ton of slippers and now use this stuff almost exclusively. Not only does it help with the non-skid aspect, but it prolongs the life of the slippers as well. We go through slippers pretty fast since we take our shoes off at the door and I put my slippers on immediately, no matter what the weather. The plasti-dip is MUCH cheaper than leather soles, faster to apply and can go through the wash. You can google and order it on line or a lot of hardware stores carry it. Lowe's does in Philly also.
5/11/2010 1:12:18 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Thanks to you both! I've bookmarked the link and printed out the info. We have a Lowe's, so I'll check it out on the weekend; DH surely has some reason to go there at least once, right?

What sort of brush do you use? Are the foam ones better than bristles? And yes, this will be an outdoor project; I'm getting more sensitive to smells as the years pass.
5/11/2010 8:47:34 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
CatBookMom wrote:
What sort of brush do you use? Are the foam ones better than bristles?

I've been using disposable plastic picnic knives! The stuff's too thick for a brush, and the knife makes for easy clean up.
5/11/2010 11:06:00 PM
evelyn
evelyn
Posts 990
CatBookMom wrote:
My seniors are into making slippers this year in particular, and I am tasked with finding the non-skid solution. The gals don't felt the slippers, so I don't know if Vamanta's famous stuff will work. But I can't find the link to the info on the paint-on stuff she recommended.

5/11/2010 11:08:28 PM
evelyn
evelyn
Posts 990
CatBookMom wrote:

Just a little tip when using the Plasti-dip....if your slipper bottom is fuzzy from the felting, use a pair of scissors and cut the fuzz off close to the slipper bottom. Otherwise the plasti-dip will just sit on top of the fuzzy part.
5/12/2010 11:29:10 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Billie wrote:
CatBookMom wrote:
What sort of brush do you use? Are the foam ones better than bristles?

I've been using disposable plastic picnic knives! The stuff's too thick for a brush, and the knife makes for easy clean up.

Oh, great idea! And with many of these being crocheted, the knife will make it easier to work the goop into the stitches.
5/12/2010 11:29:56 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Just a little tip when using the Plasti-dip....if your slipper bottom is fuzzy from the felting, use a pair of scissors and cut the fuzz off close to the slipper bottom. Otherwise the plasti-dip will just sit on top of the fuzzy part.

Good point. Thanks for the tip, Evelyn.
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatNeed Info on Non-Skid Product for Slipper Bottoms