HomeGeneral ChatHow high's the water?
Messages in this topic - RSS
5/4/2010 8:14:13 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Pretty dang high. I've seen pictures from Chez Benne's, and it's trying to make up for a couple of years of drought...but the generator works, and they have intermittent power.
5/5/2010 12:04:02 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Bets, Glad to get news about Benne. Is their house safe from the waters? The situation in Tennessee sounds just awful. I've been close to flooded areas but Nashville looks so sad!
Greetings to Benne and Bets, Jamie
5/7/2010 9:56:03 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Hi everyone! I'm back!

We got power back yesterday, then it went out again twice. I am a little twitchy about the predicted thunderstorms for tonight but they are supposed to be fast-moving, so we should be okay. I took a long hot shower and washed dishes in the dishwasher and washed two loads of clothes. The water got up to the split-rail fence and the old beech tree at the gate, if you remember the pictures from my blog. There was also a trench cut directly behind our vehicles that drops off 4-6 feet. Our driveway is impassable, it is going to require bulldozer work and I have no idea when I will be able to get to town.

The town is still only accessible from Nashville by one road which opened up yesterday. The town is still out of water and some are still without power. Many roads are still underwater and bridges are out. I've never seen so much rain so fast. At noon on Saturday, it was so dark, it looked like 7:30 at night. We are very fortunate to have had the generator to keep refrigerator and freezer going and to fire up the internet sometimes. Our phone came back on intermittently yesterday so the net helped. Six days without power is difficult when you are used to having it. I grew up in the early years without running water or electricity but I don't really want to live that way again, full-time. Yesterday, I told Thom I was kinda tired of camping now. Thanks for thinking of us!
5/7/2010 10:44:31 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Benne - so glad you're back on grid! The destructive power of water is amazing. Isn't that first shower wonderful? I know there will be a lot of work ahead. First to get out of your lane, I guess. Hope the roads dept get those bridges up soon.
Les
5/7/2010 2:16:18 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
So good to hear from you. Hope you are able to get out to town before long. It is very sad to see so much damage from the heavy rains. seems like climate is treacherous this year. That hot shower must have been wonderful! Take care of yourself!
We think of you often.
Jamie
5/8/2010 11:56:15 PM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
How are your animals doing?
pages: 1
HomeGeneral ChatHow high's the water?