HomeTechnique ChatHerbert Neibling Lace
Messages in this topic - RSS
3/14/2010 6:39:37 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
In his book, it mentions that he used cotton yarn for his doilies. Has anyone successfully substituted wool or animal fiber lace yarn? And I was thinking of making one of his doilies as a blanket like Jared Flood did..... Would Neibling mind? or would the act be an insult to his art?
3/14/2010 3:18:42 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I'm planning on doing one of his as a shawl in wool...

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
3/19/2010 5:36:56 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
which one?
3/26/2010 10:36:17 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Libby wrote:
In his book, it mentions that he used cotton yarn for his doilies. Has anyone successfully substituted wool or animal fiber lace yarn? And I was thinking of making one of his doilies as a blanket like Jared Flood did..... Would Neibling mind? or would the act be an insult to his art?

Libby, lots of Niebling knitters use animal fibers for their doilies and shawls. Elann's Baby Lace Merino, the sportweights and fingering weights would work well too. I don't know if I would use all alpaca because it won't hold the blocking for the intricate lace quite as well as merino and wool.
3/27/2010 6:44:22 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Benne,

Thanks for the reply. I bought 3 different colors of Elann.com baby lace merino. I'll use this for the Neibling lace. I did buy the 100% alpaca lace yarn from my LYS that I told you about, would this be good for the Haapsula shawl? or will I have problems blocking it? That yarn is simply to die for as it is just soooo soft and I just love the colors.

Libby
3/29/2010 9:21:40 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I think your alpaca lace yarn will do fine, Libby. I was using a much heavier weight alpaca and may have been asking it to do things it didn't want to do. I love elann's baby lace merino, what colors did you get? It's so nice to knit, it really behaves itself well.
4/20/2010 11:25:25 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Libby wrote:
which one?

Sorry I didn't answer Lib, completely forgot I'd posted. I'm doing it in Baby Lace Merino (still trying to decide on a colour) and it's this one:

ETA - Didn't do very well posting the pic. It's the one on pg 51 of Lace Designs of Herbert Niebling.

edited by ecasey on 4/20/2010

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatHerbert Neibling Lace