HomeProduct ChatThe Haapsalu Shawl: A Knitted Lace Tradition
Messages in this topic - RSS
3/14/2010 6:37:18 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
I have been eyeing this book for some time now and need some advice. Is this a book that I need in my collection? I have 3 other books on the topic and alot of the material seems to be repeated. What I am looking for is actual shawl patterns. Of the 3 books I have, they all have different shawl patterns.

I know the book contains some GREAT pictures as well as history and knitting stitch library, but does it have shawl patterns?

Thanks for the advice,
Libby
3/14/2010 3:35:21 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Hi, Libby!
I think there are just 'recipes', but Clara Parkes did a full review of the book on last week's Knitter's Review column, here (can't get hyperlink to work) http://www.knittersreview.com/article_newsletter.asp?article=/newsletter/100304_a.htm
3/15/2010 12:18:13 PM
ScullyKnits
ScullyKnits
Posts 2451
I have the book. No shawl patterns. Its a great collection of stitch patterns and a how to section. Some of the stitch patterns I've seen other places, some are new to me. I was hoping it would have some of the stitch patterns used in Laminaria and others shawl patterns -- the star type. Alas, not so. thus I'm still searching for the elusive and out of print book on estonia lace (whose name escapes me at the moment)
3/16/2010 11:30:52 PM
sottwell
sottwell
Posts 2
I got this one recently; I love it http://www.amazon.com/Knitted-Lace-Estonia-Techniques-Traditions/dp/1596680539

--
Knitting for more than half a decade around the world
3/17/2010 4:48:46 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Libby, I bought the book and am very pleased with it. It gives general directions for the traditional shawl and then a wide choice of charted patterns for the centre section arranged in categories - leaves, lily-of-the-valley, etc. The last section is lace edgings. It's not a book for a knitter who needs a pattern written out from beginning to end, step by step, it's much more exciting than that as you get to create your own design within the template. You would not have any difficulty using it. Alice
3/19/2010 5:28:56 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Alice, I'm pleased to say that I ordered the book. Ann didn't have it here so I got it from another online store. I did check my LYS and they said that they didn't know when they would get it in...I got the Haapsula Shawl book as well as a Twisted Stitch book that Meg Swanson recently re-released. It is a compilation of 3 German Books which I have but have no idea what it says... So I'm anxious to get my hands on this as well. I tried to figure it out (the stitch pattern charts) but it was not meant to be... Needless to say, I'm awaiting a shipment of books!
3/21/2011 2:27:19 PM
pri18on
pri18on
Posts 1
Libby, if your book doesn't come soon, take a look at Patternfish, as they show many lovely lace patterns from easy to experienced. Some of the designers who list lace patterns are Mary White, Anne Corcoran (Queen Anne's Lace), Anne Hanson, Anni Allis (from UK), Laura Patterson, Jackie Erickson Schweitzer, Trudy van Stralen - and more. I don't specifically remember Estonian Lace patterns, but that was not what I was looking for. If you go to www.patternfish.com, it will be the first title that comes up (one word), then there is another Pattern Fish listed which is a kids book. At least this wouuld give you a 'fix' to tide you over until your book arrives.

Good luck,
Joni
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatThe Haapsalu Shawl: A Knitted Lace Tradition