Marta - all messages by user

10/23/2004 2:43:01 PM
The Bold is Back (to ALMOST quote Elton John)! Hi, Eileen!

I`m new around here but I`ve had experience with allergies, and one of my sons has asthma. The most frustrating thing with allergies is that, after identifying a trigger, which you still seem to have to do, the first rule is to avoid/eliminate it - which in most cases is very difficult or even impossible. But you must try hard to.
All suggestions made here so far are worth pursuing, alhtough going after the carpet manufacturer or involving the landlady - who just incurred expenses and, depending on the rental market in NY, might think that finding a new tenant would be a lot less bothersome - should be done very tactfully and may not be very efficient. We`ve had very good results with good filters. A HEPA filter, turned on 24 hours a day (on High when you are not around if the noise would drive you crazy) would be my first choice. And it is a much smaller investment than moving, even if it doesn`t work for you. If you shampoo the carpets, make sure they`ll dry quickly, so you don`t add to any potential mold problem.
Best of luck solving your problem.

Marta

P.S.: I`ve seen and admired your beautiful work. Congratulations.
10/23/2004 2:53:48 PM
How`d I miss those scarves, Bets?! Bets,
Your LYS must be great, to deserve this kind of compliment - and make you drive there...
I was referring to - not very clearly, for sure - the kind of happiness that comes from producing beautiful (knitted) work, and having appreciative people around to enjoy it with - that`s kind of a piece of knitting heaven for me.
Keep it up!
Marta
10/24/2004 10:21:37 AM
Dr. Update Hi Libby,
Hang in there a little longer, your little girl will decide she`s ready pretty soon...Take it easy in the meantime.
Marta
10/24/2004 10:28:57 AM
treasure trove Hi,

I`m definitely interested too. Let us know more details, will you?
In the matter of languages, I can handle French, Spanish and Portuguese, if that will help.
Marta
10/24/2004 10:33:09 AM
Point Mousse and others... Thank you so much for sharing such a treasure, that will warrant extensive visits.
Marta
10/24/2004 10:41:04 AM
The Bold is Back (to ALMOST quote Elton John)! Hi again,

On the subject of filters, I should have said a unit that has a carbon filter as well as a HEPA-type filter would work better in your situation, as it will absorb some gases as well as trap particles in the air. I don`t know if it is OK to mention commercial places here, but Costco stores in my area carry very reasonably priced filters of this kind.
Good luck there!
Marta
10/24/2004 10:46:41 AM
Chutes and Ladders pattern for sale here at this site Hi,

That`s a beautiful, very elegant pattern. Here`s my two cents: it should look gorgeous in any wool that is not too limp.
Marta
10/24/2004 11:14:41 AM
MacChick, where are you Hi,

If you want one more piece of info on trying to keep spiders outside, where they belong and can do a good job of eating bad bugs (well, other bad bugs...) I have found that a product called SLA is the only one that really works for them. Apparently they can walk all over most other stuff unharmed, as very little of their body gets in contact with it. This is expensive, and in my area only some Ace hardware sttores carry it, but it is the best thing for all sorts of uninvited little creatures, both crawling and flying ones. It is made of pyrethrins (which occur naturally in some plants) and has a very pleasant cedar smell. Now, don`t be fooled by it, you are not supposed to breathe the stuff, but it does not leave the disgunting smell of other products. I periodically spray the frames of windows and outside doors with it, as well as closets and the inside of storage boxes, bags, drawers, etc. It does make a difference.
BTW, I don`t own stock in the company - maybe I should! But this is a wonderful product to protect a wool stash as well as the humans from nasty creatures. Hope this helps. If you need more info on how to obtain it, let me know.
Marta
10/24/2004 2:15:21 PM
treasure trove This is getting really exciting! No luck on the Dutch front, but Portuguese is my native language, so I`ll be more than happy to proofread anything you have in Portuguese.
Thanks again for bringing this up.
Marta
10/24/2004 10:01:57 PM
Point Mousse and others... Heather,
I had to look that up, I was also curious. According to Webster, it is a piece of cloth or something else used to protect the back or arms of chairs, etc., from hair or hand oils - something to that effect...
Actually I do remember that kind of thing being used in old ladies`houses (that`s my recollection, no offense meant) when I was little. The ones I remember were typically made in crochet. I had no idea they had a name!
Marta
10/25/2004 11:11:37 PM
gift idea? Very handy indeed for nice, quick small presents, and the charts are understandable, even if the language isn`t...
Thanks for sharing this site.
Marta
10/26/2004 6:50:46 AM
Who`s getting mohair and what will you make with it? I`m starting with a hat and scarf for my DD - she was really excited about several of the colors - and, I hope before Christmas, for my DILs too. Then I will try to do something for myself, for a change.
Hope this helps you!
Marta
10/26/2004 9:03:55 AM
Who`s getting mohair and what will you make with it? Hi,

What size needles did you use - if you don`t mind sharing that info? It might save me - and maybe others, too - wasting this gorgeous yarn on tryouts.
Marta
10/26/2004 5:36:59 PM
Who`s getting mohair and what will you make with it? Thanks, Shelmack.
The stitch you describe is one of my favorite scarf stitches. And in such big needles, it should go fast. Really good news - maybe I`ll finish some gifts before Christmas! Now I can`t wait to get the yarn.

Marta
10/28/2004 8:20:15 AM
Happy Happy Happy Anniversary Pat! Joining the chorus from across the country - Happy Anniversary and many many more!
Marta
10/29/2004 8:01:41 AM
Ghislaine what a beautiful shawl Beautiful! Congratulations!
Marta
10/29/2004 5:05:15 PM
Did everybody get your newsletter/sample skeins? Not yet, but your descriptions are making me nervous... I used to really only buy what I needed for a specific project before I started reading these pages...
Marta
10/29/2004 5:17:40 PM
Corinna! Hi,

Such beautiful work does deserve the "Fiber Arts" title! And your gorgeous "model" is enjoying all the fun, too! Congratulations.
Marta
Corinna! Hi,

Such beautiful work does deserve the "Fiber Arts" title! And your gorgeous "model" is enjoying all the fun, too! Congratulations.
Marta
Corinna! Hi,

Marta
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last