bets - all messages by user

3/23/2003 9:49:09 PM
It`s all the fault o` Malta! Gotta ask-

Dog, cat or heritage?

Bets
(who has a perfectly good Maltese spouse!)
3/28/2003 1:44:12 PM
knitting ribbon yarn Hi!

A lot of companies make knitting ribbon. It`s usually flat woven...kinda like (sewing) hem tape... or a knitted tube (picture the leg of a LONG skinny stocking)! It can be either woven or knitted, and varies according to fiber content and weight. Check Berrocco`s website-they`ve made a ribbon yarn called Glace for years. Also check here, look at Barolo, and Tahki`s Como. Look at the yarn requirements and the garment`s properties before you substitute, but, generally speaking, yardage and gauge should be your guide.
Good luck!
3/28/2003 1:48:01 PM
PLEASE HELP! Yeah, right! Webmaster, can you ditch this posting? If not, could everyone just send me money because it`s falling out of your pockets? I`ll make up a good story, honest!
(snort!)
3/28/2003 1:48:01 PM
Please help! Yeah, right! Webmaster, can you ditch this posting? If not, could everyone just send me money because it`s falling out of your pockets? I`ll make up a good story, honest!
(snort!)
4/2/2003 9:26:13 PM
Knitting machines I`ve owned a Bond for almost 20 years now. Great for large portions of stockinette, and worsted weights. It`s horrible for textured yarns, and I can`t get a tight gauge on it, even with DK weight. Still, it makes baby projects in a hurry, and is good for those quick projects. It would probably speed some things up for you.
4/2/2003 9:34:41 PM
PLEASE HELP! Ah, Gregory

You are so much more mature than I (or well-spoken!) I just get mad because there are so many frauds out there. Yes, there are certainly people who need help too, but you are right, this isn`t the place to ask for it. I`ve met so many nice people swapping yarn that I hate to see anyone ripped off, but you`re absolutely right, anyone showing up at a knitting discussion to ask for precisely 4,000.00 for transportation for an infant they haven`t seen in a year just sounds flaky.

Regards-
B
4/2/2003 9:34:41 PM
Please help! Ah, Gregory

You are so much more mature than I (or well-spoken!) I just get mad because there are so many frauds out there. Yes, there are certainly people who need help too, but you are right, this isn`t the place to ask for it. I`ve met so many nice people swapping yarn that I hate to see anyone ripped off, but you`re absolutely right, anyone showing up at a knitting discussion to ask for precisely 4,000.00 for transportation for an infant they haven`t seen in a year just sounds flaky.

Regards-
B
5/18/2003 12:05:39 PM
Elann sample skeins - what to do with them? I think you should send them to ME! But if you think that`s a rotten idea, look for a bias pattern (Vogue Knitting had instructions on bias knitting a few years back). Group them by gauge, then by color/mood/light/dark, whatever - right now I am making a fab shell for my mother in law, and I have 10 yarns in already. The angled strip is much more flattering than a horizontal stripe, you don`t need a lot of yarn to do a row, and the variety is good for a project like this.
5/18/2003 12:11:03 PM
bias knitting Winter 97/98 Vogue Knitting should have the article. Maybe you own it, or can find it in a VK book at the library?

Good luck!
5/18/2003 12:11:50 PM
Adriafil Leaf yarn What color?
5/18/2003 12:15:13 PM
Elann sample skeins - what to do with them? Oh, sorry, good bias instructions in in VK Winter 97/98. Another plus? The back DOES NOT have to match the front.
5/18/2003 12:19:23 PM
Sidar - Chatterbox - baby colors Hey, I`ve got a good source for it.
Go to Diane Knits in the UK. Or, how much do you need? I have some.
5/20/2003 3:19:45 AM
Adjusting Patterns? Hi-

Well you CAN, but if you are new to it, I think you should proceed with caution. I suggest instead that instead of making a switch in weight, look for a similar weight in a yarn you can live with. For instance, a worsted weight wool can be swapped for Eviva, which I think is still for sale here, or Topacio. (I live in south TX, I don`t need wool either!) Alternatively, look at some of the Berrocco patterns-some of them have multiple sweaters in different gauges, which is what you want. I bought #200, which has 5 shells and tanks in 3 gauges each. THIS should help you until you have a good idea of the way YOU knit. Once you figure that out, you`ll have a little more latitude.
5/20/2003 3:24:00 AM
more dying to dye! TAM, you might also try Wilton frosting colors. I dyed the heck outta some cashmere laceweight for scarves...fun fun fun! It`s hard to get good grownup colors out of Koolaid, so this will give more choices. I wet the yarn, apply dye, heat in the microwave for 3 min or so, then rinse all with vinegar water. (Let cool first!) Have fun!
5/20/2003 8:13:13 PM
more dying to dye! Yes, just buy a kit of a couple of paste colors. They are STRONG, so water down the color unless you want something really strong. I haven`t tried cotton, so you might experiment with an old sock.
6/22/2003 7:51:08 AM
Knitters Magazine & Rebecca Magazine Wanted Please Hi-

I`m sure I can find the Knitter`s article. Would a photocopy do?

B
6/22/2003 8:07:30 AM
I`ve corraled my stash!!!!!! I`ve been doing the happy dance becuse I have my stash under control! Yesterday, when everyone else was out of the house (snide comments-who needs them?), I got my vacuum cleaner out and a few large space bags. It`s lovely to get yarn for 8 different projects into a package the size of a small standard pillow! These are really the business! You can see inside them, it`s easy to group by color/material/use, and if you run into a stray while you`re working thru your pile of bags, it`s no problem. I found that it`s better to use your fingers, then the slide closure, then your fingers again to ensure a tight seal; I also found it`s better to vacuum it once, let it sit for a while, then go back and vacuum more out! IF you have something sealed in plastic, punch a few holes in the bag to facilitate "squishing". If you have a chance, buy a sampler pack-they`re cheaper, and you can see if you like them. I really am an "outta sight, outta mind" type knitter, so I can SEE what I have, and then I won`t go overboard. Frankly, just sorting it lets me know that I need an elann vacation (except something I want comes up this week!) but in a few projects/weeks, I`ll be back on track. Gee, I have all this ROOM in my closet now! I realize that this might not be good for long term storage, but gee, I don`t have to wade thru a sea of bags anymore! Note: This won`t work for those yarns that come on styrofoam or cardboard cores, but I had plenty of skeins and balls that it worked GREAT for!
6/23/2003 6:24:53 PM
I`ve corraled my stash!!!!!! Still happy! I`ve done a lot of charity knitting, and I have to be honest, I don`t want to give my yarn up to Goodwill!

I HAD boxes for a long time, and therein lies the problem-you can`t see what`s in the boxes, and I am not that organized!

But I will volunteer to go to NC-my best buddy lives in Raleigh!

B
6/23/2003 6:32:20 PM
Demographic curiosity Hi-

Well, my LYS is 50 miles away, so it`s a once a month deal for me. I`m 43, learned when I was about 8, ignored it for years, picked it up at 24, dropped at 28, and back in full swing for about the last 5 years. As long as I can remember, I played with textiles-cross-stitch, crewel, quilting, sewing, SOMETHING! I think I`m just wired that way. People TALK about wanting to knit, but very few actually step up-maybe 4 since 1985. Both my girls (teens) actually have knit but now it is SOOOOO uncool. Oh, and I lift weights. Good combination, huh? Sling ya around AND poke your eyes out! HA HA
6/23/2003 6:35:58 PM
Austermann Zoom Actually, how are you built? If you are slender, go for hip to shoulder, dark to light. I have a thick tummy, and was gonna go vertical, because I do NOT need another ring around my middle! I`ll have the white part on my good-looking side! ;-) So it depends on you!
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25... Last