HomeGeneral ChatUpdate on Bets. More prayers.
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/10/2010 10:16:51 AM
mousepotato
mousepotato
Posts 338
I have an update. Please if you could help me pass this along to all the other forums I would greatly greatly appreciate it.

She is in ICU, heavily sedated, and on a respirator. I was relieved to know that she was not alone when the stroke happened. She was at a meeting and they were able to call the ambulance right away and then airlife took her to a hospital in SA. It was due to a spike in her blood pressure, at the moment they are trying to manage it but are having difficulty getting it under control, which is the reason they have her heavily sedated.

Her husband is there with her and family.

Betsycandle2
11/10/2010 11:25:50 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Thank you so much for the update - and, pardon the selfishness, but please do pass along any news you get!
11/10/2010 11:34:39 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
THANK you, thank you, thank you for the update. I am so relieved to know that she was with people when it happened and got care immediately.
11/10/2010 11:53:29 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Enid, thank you so much for telling us this.

Now ladies lets get to some action. Betsy is in need of some good will and lovin'. I'm thinking in terms of a blanket. We all know the drill.... knit a 12 x 12 square... send it to me.... we will discuss the yarn type and colors.... Betsy LOVES color....

So who's in? email me at l_stypa AT hotmail.com

(I know we generally keep this blankie stuff secret and dont post it HOWEVER I think we can make an exception AND I dont know everyone's email addy that loves her and I dont want to exclude anyone.

Libs
11/10/2010 2:14:10 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Enid, thank you so much for passing on the information to us. Thank God Bets was not home alone!

Libby called me a few minutes ago with the news and I am in shock that our Bets is going through this. I am on for blanket squares, just tell me what I need to do. I know how much my blanket that all of you made meant to me when I had surgery and all the other thoughts and prayers from all of you have carried me through a lot. It's my turn to help for Bets. She is always the first to get going for others, so now we can return the love.
11/10/2010 3:50:31 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I just spoke with Bets’ daughter and she said her mom is in critical condition in the Neuro ICU. She said the stroke was hemorrhagic, a brain bleed, and there are some serious concerns, of course, but it is a waiting game. She said Bets has good color and she is sure that Bets is aware, on some level that everyone is there and she is missing the party. They are trying to control the bleed and BP and will keep her sedated until then, and then see how and when she wakes up. She said she will keep me updated with phone call or emails on her mom’s condition and will also let us know when Bets is allowed to have flowers and things sent to her at the hospital. They are a lot of Methodist hospitals in SA but Bets is in Methodist Main Hospital on the Medical Campus. I will post here as soon as I have more info.

I passed on to Christina that many people are praying, lighting candles, saying incantations and thinking of Bets and the family and she said they appreciate it very much.

I posted this on ravelry in the elann chat group.

This is so hard to believe this is happening to our Bets.
11/10/2010 4:47:26 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Thanks, Libby, for getting it going. Please count me in. I'm e-mailing you, too.

And thanks, Benne, for the latest update. I am still in shock.
11/10/2010 5:11:30 PM
mousepotato
mousepotato
Posts 338
Thanks Benne & Libby,
I appreciate the info. I'm glad you called, them.
I talked to a girlfriend of ours in Bet's town. She went over to their house and has food coming. She said they would be good for a couple of days. And she also offered to walk the dogs for them. I thought about printing all this stuff out and sending it to Mark.

I'm in on the blanket.

enid AT enidation.com

is my email addy.

enid
11/10/2010 6:09:18 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Oh Enid, I might have known you and Bets' friends would be taking good care of Bets' family and pups. I had already been worrying about the dogs and how Mark would cope and on and on. You know how it is when you are far away and can't physically do anything to help and you want to so badly. Thank you for letting us know and if you can think of anything, anything at all, I or any of us can do, please let us know. I'm so glad you are there!. (((hugs)))
11/10/2010 9:24:46 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
I am in on a blanket. What a shocker. My prayers for Bets and her family. I have trouble logging into Elann Chat. But you can contact me at Ravelry.
11/11/2010 3:23:49 AM
birdlady
birdlady
Posts 1442
Thanks so much for the update. Bets and Mark are in my prayers.

Libby, I'm in too for the blanket.

Email addy is dneuhs AT hotmail DOT com
Denise
11/11/2010 9:41:36 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Libby wrote:
Enid, thank you so much for telling us this.

Now ladies lets get to some action. Betsy is in need of some good will and lovin'. I'm thinking in terms of a blanket. We all know the drill.... knit a 12 x 12 square... send it to me.... we will discuss the yarn type and colors.... Betsy LOVES color....

So who's in? email me at l_stypa AT hotmail.com

(I know we generally keep this blankie stuff secret and dont post it HOWEVER I think we can make an exception AND I dont know everyone's email addy that loves her and I dont want to exclude anyone.

Libs
11/11/2010 9:43:43 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Thanks for the update. Think of each day being positive.

Count me me, Libby. Just tell me what weight/colour.
Alice
11/11/2010 3:19:51 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
In order to maintain my sanity we will be using the Elann Chat Ravelry group under thread "Junior Goddess Blanket" for all of the updates and information regarding the blanket for Betsy.
11/13/2010 9:43:48 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I wanted to let everyone know that I spoke with Bets' husband this morning and he said Bets had a quiet night. She is breathing mostly on her own but is still on a respirator. She is lightly sedated but is not awake and she has not been awake since the stroke. They did emergency surgery and removed the clot Thursday. She has shown some improvement in vitals since then. He said if she wakes up, it is a very long road ahead with an unsure prognosis. He said she is strong and he has hope. I told him if anyone can come through this, it is Bets. They are reading the elann posts and Facebook posts to Bets. He stressed how much it meant to him and the family to know so many people love Bets and are praying and thinking of her and told me to be sure to tell you all. He asked that people only send cards and notes, no packages. I told him about the blanket and said Bets was always one of the first to organize a blanket for others and we wanted her to have one. He did ask that their address not be posted anywhere on the internet but we can give it to one another so people can send cards and notes. Let me know if you need her address. They have moved in the past couple of years.

I asked Mark about how he is doing and he said he has a good support system, someone is helping him with the dogs, and his family is close, so he's good except for worrying about Bets. I told him that Bets would expect us to try and take care of him too because that is what she would be doing if it was one of us. I am so worried about her but I have hope for her recovery.

If I learn anything else I will post here and on the elann chat group on ravelry. Mark said he would let us know of changes and updates and he was calling Enid when we hung up, so I think we will know when there is news. In the meantime, we should all knit something pretty and colorful and think of Bets.
11/14/2010 6:07:47 AM
Theresa fom Queensb
Theresa fom Queensb
Posts 818
I read in Benne's post that they are reading these posts to Betsy, so I asked Tim if he wanted to send a message, and he does. He wants to tell Betsy to get better, and that he is praying for her, and that everything will be all right.

Bets has been very very good to Tim since I very first met her here and if Tim could type that himself, he would. I wish I could post the concern on his face and the way he moved his fingers when I asked him what he wanted to say, because I know Betsy would appreciate that.
11/14/2010 6:03:52 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
update from bets’ Facebook page Sunday night

Bets’ brother just posted this

Hi everyone - it’s Sunday evening and Betsy’s been opening her eyes and it’s quite apparent that she recognises us. Her progress is slow, but we can see it everyday. It seems like she wants to speak, but it’s still a little early. She made quite a few faces today. Some good, some confused, but it is all very encour…aging. I’m blown away by all the Facebook posts, I’ll be sure to read the new ones to her tonight. Maybe one of you will share with me the Secret of the Ho-sista hood! =) She’s not ready for visitors yet, but we are overwhelmed by the postings here. Can someone share with me the knitting site with the posts? I’d like to share those with her as well!

=========

I am so hopeful for Bets! This is a good sign, a long way to go, but so much better than a couple of days ago!
11/15/2010 7:42:15 AM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
The first thing I do each day is check here and at Ravelry. Thanks for the update, Benne
11/15/2010 7:57:14 AM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
I just saw this update at Facebook.
Hi, This is Betsy's brother Fred and I got back from San Antonio last night. The general plan for the next week will be to get her off the respirator and ultimatly remove the feeding tube. Once she is able to follow commands she will go into therapy. It appears that the the signal from the brain to the outer right extremities is not broken however a full assessment cannot be made until she is fully concious. Progress for recovery will be slow and in tiny, tiny steps. Thursday morning I received a text from my daughter Valerie who spent the night with her at 6:25 in the morning that she opened her eyes for the first time since Sunday , yesterday she flexed her right foot when her leg was pinched and today her leg moved. I will post updates to first keep everyone updated and secondly when Betsy recovers she will have a diary kept by others to help her fill in the gaps. My email is fredfowles@hotmail.com if anyone would like to contact me.
11/15/2010 2:12:55 PM
Della
Della
Posts 152
Praying for Bets! I didn't know what happened til just now. My computer has been down for months, so I'm on a borrowed one. I hope and pray she recovers completely!!
pages: 1 2 3
HomeGeneral ChatUpdate on Bets. More prayers.