HomePrevious Website ChatLace voyager stole, problems with the nbr of st
Messages in this topic - RSS
7/1/2010 2:06:15 PM
dominique.bouixmoret
dominique.bouixmoret
Posts 2
Hello, I began The Voyager Lace Stole, which I find a very beautiful pattern, but I have problems with the chart and it seems that I am the only one ! :
Row 1 115 ok
but Row 2 : 13 x 9 + 1sl + P2tog, + P1 + K1 = 121
same with row 4 I have two stitches more, I can count and count again
Do I not understand something ?
I must say I am quite dumb in understanding knitting pattern ...
Thank you for your help
Dominique in french guiana
7/4/2010 6:10:03 AM
barbara 097102
barbara 097102
Posts 13
Hi Dominique
I don't know if I can help - sometimes it can be that you pick up a couple of extra stitches in the "purl row" . I have looked at the pattern and it is not simply just purling but a specific row pattern itself. You may not have gone wrong - sometimes even slipping the first stitch seems to give you an extra stitch or if you purl an extra stitch from the yarn over in the previous row - it is really hard to get the pattern synchronised until you have been knitting it for a couple of days at least unless you can gauge where each little pattern is centred within the pattern so to speak. I make heaps of mistakes but can pick it up on the way back by looking at the pattern from the rows beneath - the best thing is to work your way back mathematically over the repeats and the number of stitches in each repeat. Try and identify how it looks in front of you and how it looks on the pattern, if you have one extra stitch over one repeat you can fix that easily without pulling out the rows by knitting 2 togther where necessary. (I have done this a lot). Please don't despair - it just takes so much concentration - one little distraction and Phhhhhh!!!! I am finding the shawl patterns with a purled second row so easy at the moment - but of course you don't get the same pattern on the back. Let me know how you get on - it is a lovely pattern - you will get the gist I am sure.

Cheers
Barb from Oz
7/6/2010 2:28:11 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
dominique.bouixmoret-837225 wrote:
Hello, I began The Voyager Lace Stole, which I find a very beautiful pattern, but I have problems with the chart and it seems that I am the only one ! :
Row 1 115 ok
but Row 2 : 13 x 9 + 1sl + P2tog, + P1 + K1 = 121
same with row 4 I have two stitches more, I can count and count again
Do I not understand something ?
I must say I am quite dumb in understanding knitting pattern ...
Thank you for your help
Dominique in french guiana

Hi Dominque,

I am one of the designers of this pattern and I hope I can help you find an answer to your extra stitches. The stitch count changes from row to row on this pattern and it does not have a "resting" row, that is, wrong side rows that are all knit or all purl, giving the pattern stitch a "rest." Since you are ending up with extra stitches, my guess is that you are forgetting to work a purl 2 together, adding an extra yarn-over, or possibly working the purl before a knit stitch incorrectly.

I suggest you go back and check your knitting against the written pattern instead of the chart, stitch by stitch, until you discover where you are adding extra stitches. Pay special attention to the yarn-over before a purl. At the end of the pattern, there are instructions on how to work the stitches, YO* - before purl - wrap yarn around needle purlwise.

I hope you can find your extra stitches so you can knit the Voyager pattern. Thank you for the compliment on the pattern. You might try swatching the pattern in another yarn, working a couple of repeats until you understand the pattern stitches and can keep your stitch count correct. I often do that with new stitch patterns just to get to know the pattern. Good luck, and please come back and post if you need more help.

Benne
7/8/2010 10:38:21 AM
ScullyKnits
ScullyKnits
Posts 2451
Hi Dominique -
After reading the posts I don't think you have extra stitches. the key is in Benne's answer, "...The stitch count changes from row to row on this pattern ..."
the written instructions show the stitch count changing R1-115, R2 -121, R3-113 etc....
3/10/2011 1:22:31 PM
dominique.bouixmoret
dominique.bouixmoret
Posts 2
I stopped counting the stitches and just knitted. I dont know if everything is right, but here is the result :
http://ravel.me/domguyane/dgygp
thanks Ladies !

Dominique
edited by dominique.bouixmoret-837225 on 3/11/2011
3/15/2011 8:12:28 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
dominique.bouixmoret-837225 wrote:
I stopped counting the stitches and just knitted. I dont know if everything is right, but here is the result :
http://ravel.me/domguyane/dgygp
thanks Ladies !

Dominique
edited by dominique.bouixmoret-837225 on 3/11/2011

Dominique,

I went to ravelry and looked at your pictures and left a comment. Your Voyager stole is beautiful! Your knitting is lovely and I am honoured that you chose to knit a design that Shui Kuen and I both love so much. The historical aspect of the original stitch pattern and ties with Canadian history makes this pattern very special to both Shui Kuen and me and elann, and I am happy when a knitter chooses to knit this stole. I hope you enjoy wearing your lovely stole with warmest wishes from Shui Kuen and me, and I am sure, from elann as well.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatLace voyager stole, problems with the nbr of st