HomeTechnique Chata workable solution for re-working felted yarn
Messages in this topic - RSS
5/5/2010 9:28:30 AM
shirley.sretavan
shirley.sretavan
Posts 2
Hello all. Previously, I posted a "help" message for re-working yarn that was mistakenly felted by machine washing. Since then I have unravelled the sleeves and tied the yarn into bundles like the original skeins and also tied them individually at intervals to keep the yarn from tangling. These bundles were soaked in a large bowl (maybe 8 litres) of water with a teaspoon of my best hair restorative treatment (Ojon pre-cleansing restorative hair treatment) which I rubbed into the palms of my hands before mixing it into the water. I let the skein soak for 20 to 30 minutes moving it gently at intervals to make sure the solution was dispersed evenly. Then I drained the solution and filled the bowl with water and 1 tsp of vinegar and re-soaked the skein again for about 20 minutes. After a final soak in pure water (i used cool to lukewarm water throughout), I took the skein out, letting it drip until most of the water was gone, then rolled it in a large bath towel like a jelly roll, gently pressed the towel to absorbed the water from the yarn. Then I released the skein, and wrapped it around a clothes drying rack to stretch out and dry overnight. The next morning, I wound the skein back into a ball, using my fingers to rub out some of the fluff. The yarn is ready to be re-knit. It's not 100% like new but is definitely do-able and will be interknit with some of my leftover good yarn so I hope it'll all work out! If anyone knows how to do this better, please let me know and never, never, wash your work in the washing machine! Thanks all,

Shirley
1/25/2011 11:13:55 PM
lesya_yefimov
lesya_yefimov
Posts 3
Thank you, Shirley, for this great tip. I hope it works out well for you. We all do this once in awhile and it is good to know that there is something that can be done to improve the situation.
pages: 1
HomeTechnique Chata workable solution for re-working felted yarn