HomePrevious Website Chatliquid silver shawl help
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/12/2008 9:09:17 PM
Kira
Kira
Posts 2
hello experienced knitters,
I am making a Liquid Silver shawl from Rosemary Hill`s pattern posted here on elann. The chart shows 3 repeats of 24 stitches and then some 4 stitches next to 24 stitches of repeats. Does it mean I only knit these 4 stitches once, after the three repeats of 24? Why these 4 stitches are separated by red lines on both sides, just like the 24 stitches repeats are separated from pre- and post- repeat stitches. Sorry my question is so confusing, but if anyone has seen the chart, they would know what I am talking about. This is the first lace pattern I am making, so I am utterly confused.
Tahnks a lot for your help,
Kira
11/12/2008 9:43:11 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
1) You will only knit the 4 stitch repeat once.
2) I think it`s there so that the stitch repeat looks balanced. If you wished to make your shawl wider, you would repeat the 24 stitch repeat, the 4 is just a bookend to complete your series.
3) The borders are mirrored images of each other.
11/12/2008 9:45:25 PM
Hi Kira,

Rosemary has designed the shawl to be symmetrical on both sides. The lace pattern she designed is a repeat of 1 eyelet stripe and then 3 eyelet stripes. The last 4 sts that are marked off separately are the final 1 eyelet stripe to make the design symmetrical.

You are correct that you only repeat the 24 stitch repeat (3 times) and you work the 4 stitch pattern and all of the other sts only once. The 4 stitch pattern is highlighted in the pattern with the red lines to help knitters `see` the repeats of the pattern as they knit.
11/13/2008 3:20:23 PM
Kira
Kira
Posts 2
Bets and Angela, thank you very much for your replies, now it totally makes sense. Thank you for taking time to explain the pattern to me.
cheers,
Kira
7/18/2010 7:09:15 PM
trumblec
trumblec
Posts 2
I am having trouble understanding how I do the arrow symbol--sl2tog as if to K, K1, pss2o. This comes after two YO's and then I am confused as to what stitches I need to pass over which 2......
cheryl
7/20/2010 12:28:08 PM
psophia17
psophia17
Posts 100
Hi Cheryl,

When you work this series of stitches, you will begin by slipping two stitches knitwise together from your left needle to your right needle - both the mounts and the stitches are now reversed. Next, you knit one stitch, and then pass the two stitches that you slipped together over the stitch you just knit, a decrease of 2 stitches.

Do let us know if that helps solve the mystery for you.

All the best,
1/6/2012 11:48:40 AM
clthom
clthom
Posts 1
Hello experienced knitters!!! I too am making the liquid silver shawl. For those of you who have seen the chart I have a question about the final 14 stitches on row 1, after the "4" stitches. When I knit them, I find I acutally need 15 stitches to complete the row. I went over the knitted row and have not made any errors. Can someone help please???
7/31/2012 11:11:58 AM
maggie
maggie
Posts 58
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, but I just noticed your post in our Previous Website Chat.

The pattern asks you to cast on 93 stitches. Going from left to right, following the chart, you will see that the first block of pattern involves 11 stitches, then you have a
4 stitch pattern, a 24 x 3 repeat for a total of 72 stitches, and finally a 6 stitch repeat. This gives you 11
+ 4 + (24 x 3 = 72) + 6 = 93.

I wonder if the problem you are having might be with the chart itself. The blocks that are blackened indicate where there is no stitch. Because of the undulating nature of the pattern, it is necessary to have more space on either side of the pattern chart to allow for the stitches to move right and left as the pattern changes. Only the white blocks and the blocks with symbols showing in them are actually stitches that can be counted. The darkened blocks are not counted at all.

As well we have found that printing the chart in color can be very useful.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

All my best,
Maggie
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatliquid silver shawl help