3/25/2008 6:36:17 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
My DD#1 is heading to Dubai for a little holiday. Her BF is there for 2 months working and this is where he is staying
http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fichehotel
/gb/sof/6230/fiche_hotel.shtml
(just a tad ostentatious dontcha think?)
The deal is that she is going for 2 weekends with the five days off in between to do what she wants while her BF is working.
Anyone been there? Shall I worry about my cute little, blond,almost 24yo girl, wandering around alone?
Les
3/25/2008 9:10:24 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
I wouldn`t worry too much, Les. You needs to do all the usual careful things - especially keep money and electronics out of sight at all times, even in her room, and look around in a confident manner as she walks about.

You`ll survive this! I survived DD spending three weeks in Nepal trekking to the Annapurna Basecamp and back during the Maoist uprisings and then getting herself back to Singapore where she was working. The seven Americans backed out, so it was just DD and 2 Brits and 2 Aussies with the guides. Smaller group was probably safer, or so I told myself. She assured me afterwards that in Katmandu the terrorists were always at least a street away and that they never actually met any on the trails. Just don`t think about Dubai too much.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/25/2008 9:19:16 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Heck, yes, I`d worry! Any time a mother sends her daughter off anywhere, especially a foreign country in the Middle East, it`s normal to worry. That`s not to say things won`t be just fine. It looks like the hotel is fabulous and caters to tourists, which makes it much safer. Your girl`s got a good head on her shoulders and is not a troublemaker or a criminal, that always helps. ;)

Les, this is a tourist savvy country but there are some VERY harsh penalities for things and actions that are legal in the US and Canada. I highly recommend that DD reads the attached from the US State Dept. especially the sections about insurance, alcohol and traffic accidents, UAE driver`s licenses which are mandatory, any religious references, and medications (even legal ones in US and Canada.) These folks don`t fool around - it`s prison and then deportation and if the offender is Muslim (which I know DD is not) lashing for some of these things.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1050.html

Bottom line, she should be fine if she is very careful, aware, and follows the rules explicitly. It`s a whole different world and should be a fascinating, fun trip. I will be happy to accompany her as a bodyguard. :)

benne
3/25/2008 10:13:53 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Les,

I would be very worried. And I don`t know what to tell you that Benne and Alice didn`t already say. I do have to note that I`m not looking forward to when K and Syd decide to become adventurous.

Libby
3/25/2008 1:26:26 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
She should be ok as long as she does her homework, like Benne said. You COULD worry, but it wouldn`t change anything.
3/25/2008 2:02:35 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I`m not going to tell you not to worry because I know you will worry and you know I would worry. :) But I also worry when my girls, much older than yours, are out by themselves after dark in big cities. It`s part of the mom thing, might as well recognize that we will always be concerned about our kids.

As far as tourist sites out of country, I think this is a fairly safe one. There is no warning about travel there from the State Dept and it`s a luxury tourist area. She`s not going there alone and she`s smart. She`ll be fine and maybe bring you back something beyond cool as a gift. :)

benne
3/25/2008 7:18:07 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Dubai is one of the most up and coming places on earth. Much more western then you would think. But like any big city you need to keep your wits about you. And remember that making small talk with the male half of the population if you haven`t been introduced might not be the best idea around. Other then that, watch the other big city problems. Dubai is full of poor third world workers who are doing the building and are not all Muslim. They might have there own ideas about young women running around alone at night. During the day and in the city things would be fine. My neighbor went their on business last year and nearly died of shopping overload. I am sure she will have a wonderful time. And Les you are going to worry no matter where she went. I worried when Dawn went to Alaska :-}

Suzann
3/26/2008 5:56:40 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
I replied once and must have pressed the wrong button! Thanks for the link, Benne. I read the info and also looked at the Govt of Canada info as well. Thanks for the permission to worry, LOL!
These are two little kids from the country we`re talking about! I had to explain to L what most of the worlds male population outside of NA think of women with blond hair.
The info on these pages is for all of the Emerites in the EAU not necessarily for Dubai specifically. Lauren says she is quite confused about the info she has so far. One bit of info was "no public display of physical contact" and the example they gave was hand holding! The thing that scares me is that they have zero tolerance of certain things and she will not have her own suite! (not with over $2500.00 per night!)
She had better get a calling card to phone her momma! And bring me gold to compensate for the grey hair I will have!
Les
3/26/2008 10:24:57 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Dubai is not going to kill North American tourists. Showing skin is a no-no, so she needs tops with sleeps, backs, and what you and I would consider to be a reasonable length - no bare mid-rift, no shoulders, no back showing. A large thin cotton scarf is probably useful to drape around her if she is somewhere where she notices that other women are more covered than she is, also useful in air-conditioning. From kids I have taught, the Emerites are more `liberal` than most of the other Middle eastern countries.

Lauren may find that her blond hair is patted by older women and children. Dani was furious at having her red head patted in Asia until she adjusted to the fact that people were just curious. Lots of smiles - to women and children - go a long way. As long as she can remember that life is `different` without judging right or wrong and that she is their guest, she`ll be fine. Being aware of her surroundings and the image she presents are probably the most important things. Maybe she should take some knitting - it helped Dani to talk to people in Singapore - it`s a universal language.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
3/26/2008 6:56:01 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
To add to Alice`s good advice, she should be prepared to cover her hair just so she doesn`t get hassled. According to virtual tourist, prostitution is rampant in Dubai, and non-Muslim women alone are often confronted and asked if they are prostitutes, especially blondes. Has she read virtual Tourist recommendations? They are very specific about Dubai, dress, and where is safe and how to shop safely.

benne
3/27/2008 7:35:13 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Thanks for the good tips, Alice and Benne.
That Virtula Tourist site sure has lots of info!! Will pass it onto L. She could snoop around that site for days!
She has a pashmina so will recommend she take it. I have 3 so she could have many different colours!
Les
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatShall I worry?